Life brings sunshine and rain. Both are needed to produce flowers.

Friday, May 24, 2013

MAKE 'EM LAUGH!

During my first marriage poverty was our constant companion.  My husband worked minimum wage jobs which he changed frequently, but still insisted I be a stay-at-home mom to our children the first six years.  But as soon as our youngest of three was out of diapers I took part-time jobs; cleaning houses, making pizzas for Safeway, clerking at a health food coop.  Whatever I could find that I could do when my husband was home suited me.  It was usually just a few hours here and there a week, but these small jobs enabled me to buy stuff for the kids and myself that we otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford.  In all  honesty I have to confess I desperately looked forward to time away from the house and young children several times a week.  I think I would have gone crazy without those chances to get away.

Winters were particularly hard on me.  Feelings of depression during the long, dark, and cold winter months in Eastern Oregon drug me down into despair.  When I heard our little community was getting a roller skating rink in the summer I was thrilled.  When the Skatin‘ Gator finally opened I went whenever I had a few dollars to spare.  Gradually I developed my “skating legs”, and could actually stay upright most of the time.  The following winter when the blues came back full force I headed to my doctor.  I was desperate for relief.  Dr. Wesley Allen wasn’t the kind of physician to reach for the prescription pad first thing.  He wasn’t a “pill pusher” as I call those doctors who are quick to recommend anti-depressants.  In stead he asked me what I enjoyed doing.  After a minute I answered, “Roller skating.  I love roller skating.”  Without hesitation he reached for his prescription pad, and wrote, “Roller skating once or more a week for depression.”  Dr. Allen handed it to me with all seriousness.  “Try this.” he said.

I put the piece of paper in my purse, and looked at it again when I got home.  But how can I afford to go as often as I need to for this depression?  I headed to bed that night with that question weighing heavily on my mind.  The following morning I had an answer.  Employees skate free!  Approaching the owner/manager one evening I asked him about working for him.  His immediate response was, “I don’t hire women.  Young, good looking guys bring in customers.  Women, especially your age, don’t.  Sorry.”  This was in 1981, and employers could say things like this without getting into trouble.

His response only discouraged me briefly.  There had to be a way to become indispensable to this business.  What could I bring to this roller skating rink that they didn’t have?  What skills did I have that those good looking young men didn’t?  I thought about my talents as a mime artist.  In high school I studied mime; the art of communicating and entertaining without the use of words.  Since graduating I developed my skills in this area of entertaining.  Occasionally I performed as a mime for my church, and community.  Clowning!  If I could mime I could clown!  I would develop a persona, a face, and design a costume.  This would be a roller skating clown called Toe Stops, and I’d offer my services for parties.  A month later I was ready to make my grand entrance at the Skatin‘ Gator.

The costume consisted of bright blue satin knee length bloomers with rainbow suspenders.  A lemon yellow, long sleeved t-shirt with a big rainbow on the front went perfectly.  My face was painted with a muzzle-faced design in bright colors of make-up topped with a bright red nose.  I wore my hair in pig tails with a white bonnet, and wore colorful knee-high socks with skates, of course.  I choose a quiet afternoon to make my entrance.  John Geesbreght was standing by the concession stand when I rolled up to him.  “Hi!  I’m Toe Stops, your roller skating party clown!”  

The owner reacted with surprise, then a big grin crossed his face.  “Do I know you?” he asked.  I could see the wheels spinning as he tried to figure out who I was.  

“How about hiring me as your party clown?  A little birdie told me you needed one.”

Without a second thought he said, “Yes, I’ll hire you as my clown!  Now tell me who you are.”

I finally answered his question, and John just laughed.  

“By golly, you got me to hire you!  Congratulations!”

My first party was the following Saturday.  I never had so much fun going to work.  That was in April of 1981.  During the years at the rink I worked for two owners as a clown, floor guard, DJ, concessions, skating instructor, and even assistant manager when they were between owners.  Most of my hours were in the evenings and weekends when I could take my kids.  I became an accomplished skater, and got into the best shape of my life.  Some great friendships were made, and my depression during the winters completely disappeared.

In 1985 the curvature of my spine, due to scoliosis, advanced to the point that it required surgery to stabilize my back.  It would mean an end to my roller skating days.  I went on to develop a non-skating clown called "Spare Ribs", and continued clowning for another fifteen years!  But I often remember with fondness wonderful old Dr. Wesley Allen, and that thoughtful approach to a young mother’s depression.


No comments:

Post a Comment